Monday, July 20, 2015

TAMING DRAGONS...


"Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon."
 Steven
Brust
 
I've never seen a dragon...read about them...heard songs about them...yet, I've never seen a live one...wow, what a relief! 
 
One of my favorite songs was Puff, the Magic Dragon; I've read inferences it was about smoking pot, etc.  The writers consistently denied it...stating it was an innocent song about a dragon and a little boy!  I choose to believe the latter.  If I'm naive...so what...perhaps some naivety is healthy!
 
I've had what I call 'dragons' in my life...quite a few and I imagine you're the same.  I don't know any 'perfect' people, do you?
 
The following quote, posted on Facebook, struck a chord as I feel it defines much of my life with Michael.  I've taken the liberty of changing "She" to "I"...hopefully I'm forgiven!
 
"I looked back and marveled how far I had come...
 I didn’t wonder how I had made it, I already knew the answer.
Only by God’s help had I powered through;
for without His strength I could do nothing."
 
Before Michael:
I feared doing anything alone...honestly, terrified me! 
I was afraid to speak in public...my heels always tapped loudly!
Physical problems should have prevented me from having children!
I feared confrontations of any type...no arguments for me!
I was very insecure; never understood why, I just was!
 
Oh yes, "I looked back and marveled how far I had come.

After Michael: I flew alone from Oklahoma to Ethiopia and back...alone again from Oklahoma to Germany and back and once more! 
 
I've spoken to women's groups (practicing for China, was I?)...stepped it up to teaching more than 300 Chinese university students each week...in China, no less!  Hot weather...no a/c...cold weather...no heat...aargh. 
 
We've four sons...all safe and sound...loves of my life...Michael's too!  The boys and I weathered many storms successfully...life lessons learned.
 
I took GM by the horns...confronted/challenged their top people w/o earthly assistance...and won...whew! 
 
Stressful dragons in my life?   You bet'cha...I've been off and on the hot seat.
 
 
Well yes, as a matter-of-fact, I do...learned to 'speak Dragon' with M out of the country.  I was in charge of four teenage sons (bigger than me)...that was a dragon of a challenge but as Nelson Mandela said, "The best solution is to sit down and talk."  And talk we did...lots of talking and the boys became awesome men!  How 'bout them apples?  Yay! 
 
These days I talk to myself, standing up!  That's the ticket...talking and rationalizing as I go.  Whatever works, right?  Right!

I'm an ordinary person, same as many others! 
People, we all have problems! 
We've trials, hiccup's, etc. and we make it.
I made/make it with God's help; that's how I powered through for without His strength I can do nothing. Am I problem free? 
Ha! By no means... but I've done a fair job...and guess what? 
Tamed dragons can be
downright fun...good companions!
 
From my thankful heart...to yours, Vasca

 
 
 




2 comments: