Tuesday, June 30, 2015

GET ALONG...


 
"One thing you really have to watch as a writer
is getting on a soapbox or pulpit about anything. 
You don't want to alienate readers."
John Grisham
 
Honestly?  I try my best to prevent my blog from being a soapbox.  The definition of a 'soapbox'...an improvised platform used by a self-appointed, spontaneous, or informal orator; broadly :  something that provides an outlet for delivering opinions.
 

What d'ya think ~ is this a soapbox or is it a vehicle for encouragement?

Whatever you, my readers, think it is...I hope you don't/won't ever think I'm 'preachy'...if so, it is unintended...trust me!  Don't want to alienate anyone.
 
I've a question...'is it so difficult to 'love the unlovable'?  We seem to make it so; okay, I wrote 'we' when actually it is 'me'.  I (me, myself and I)sometimes make it difficult to 'love the unlovable'...and that presents the question, 'who are the unlovable'?  Um-hm, I'm choking on that, why?  Because too often I find that I am guilty of not liking and judging those I define as 'unlovable'.  My bad, yes!
 
Two weeks ago, I parked and left my car just as a woman parked next to me and was leaving her car.  Seemed we were both headed for the same place...yep, sure were.  I smiled and said 'hello'...in return I received a hard stare minus a smile.  I thought, 'Okay, lady...I've encountered you before and you've not smiled at me yet...you're on my list'
 
Fast forward...as I was leaving, she remarked that I looked pretty and guess what?  She smiled as she said it.  Don't ask me how but we began talking; I finally sat down beside her and she 'opened up'.  This woman was full of hurt, hate and bitterness.  I understand why she didn't smile much.  By the time I left, thirty minutes later, I felt like a 'dirty dog' and very humble...I had a lesson in humanity that I'll not forget.  It did her good to unload and it did me good to understand.
 
In these divisive times I needed a lesson in understanding those I've considered 'the unlovable'. In a personal category that could possibly include those who disagree politically, religiously, etc.  Seems, at times, we disagree on any and everything...yikes!
 
"Do you think it's possible to discuss politics without preaching?"...Steven Brust
 
 
I suppose I'm naïve...okay, I know I am but I've been voting for a long, long time; I can't remember times when the diatribe was so vicious and bitter.  I call it 'hatemongering'; top it off with the fact that 'the facts' are not always 'the truth'.  That's a sad commentary on today's society.
 
My dad and I disagreed politically and that isn't too uncommon...lots of kids do that (disagree w/their parents)...we didn't play cards with each other either.
 
We, as Americans, are a people of diversity...as is the world...diversified.  Oh brother, wouldn't like thinking everyone thought just as I did!  We'd be in an even bigger mess!
 
M and I have friends in many far-flung places; different colored skin, different values, different speech, old and young.  Governments, living conditions, etc...total opposites from us.
 
No matter...we've great respect for each one...and I believe they have great respect for us. 
 
To me, it comes to this...love, it's about love!  A mutual respect...and love above all. 
 
Besides, doesn't love conquer all? 
 
Suppose we could dress alike in 'get-along shirts'...what d'ya think?
 
From my loving heart...to yours, Vasca
 

6 comments:

  1. Oh how I love u Vasca! No u aren't preaching. I love your truth-laden blogs. It seems we in America can become closer in respecting other foreign countries religions & ethics (most part), but when it comes to our countrymen, the task gets much harder, especially when they go against our beliefs & ethics. As always, God is the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Eleanor. How I pray that we, the people, will learn to love each other regardless of our differences. What a wonderful world this would be! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one, Mom. How quick I can be to judge and label someone I don't even know. It is wise to apply gracious understanding first, and hold any necessary judgment to a more appropriate time, if ever. As to the political stuff, I'm staying away from that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate your words...as always! I'm very aware of how easy it is to 'judge'...and how disparaging it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many years ago I was in a car with a friend who was driving. He was yelling at the car in front because they were driving in the middle of lanes, unable to decide which way to go. I reminded him that the license plates were out of state and the driver was probably confused. It settled him down. Sometimes we don't get to know why people do things that don't make sense to us but it's always good to give them the benefit of the doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true...the benefit of the doubt is a wise act; I hope I've been given that when I've stepped in it. Thanks for the wise words!

    ReplyDelete