Thursday, May 21, 2015

SING...SING

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”  Maria Augusta von Trapp  


I've been singing most of my life; why not?  I love music...most kinds, not all but different strokes for different folks, right? 

My favorite 'classes' all through school were the musical ones...chorus.  I was always rarin' to be there...had some wonderful choral directors, too!  My mother saw to it that I had voice lessons from early on...even my first crush was lyrical...the son of my voice teacher...oh boy!  Cute, of course.  

Michael and I were in close quarters when we sang for a radio program in Odessa...(pre-marriage) that's when he foolishly stated that I would never be allowed to ride in his car.  Fooled him and am co-owner in everything he has!  That'll teach him.

Music, music, music.  Lots of fun, lots of music!  


Due to constant exposure our boys are also melodious; I always took them along when I had choral practice (couldn't afford a sitter)...they sat and learned.  From operettas to pop...they learned and loved it.  So did I. 

I'm not able to sing these days.  An auto accident took care of my voice...my head cracked the steering wheel, damaged my neck and vocal chords.  I croak along and that's okay...better than nothing.  A wonderful friend of ours, who was very old, chided me after I mentioned I sang like a frog.  He said, "Vasca, every time I hear you sing I think it's an angel."  He was too, too sweet.

I sing in my head...and aloud if no one's around.  Sometimes I even entertain M with songs he's never heard before.  He wonders where I came up w/them but I have an awesome memory!  Melodious?  Not, but I guess it really doesn't matter what one sounds like if the heart is in it. 

For instance, one of our long-time friends lived across the street from us when our boys were little...their daughter would get she and the  four boys 'dressed up' and sashayed around...cute...I have pictures but would prove dangerous for me if they were published.   

Now her mom's gone, her dad is 88 and lives in a cloud; dementia.  He and Michael grew up together, sang together...led singing together...close friends!

She wrote last week about taking her dad to the doctor and what took place in the waiting room...'he began singing loudly and repeatedly..."Jesus, Jesus...Jesus, that's the sweetest name I know".... some of the crowd joined in, some said amen...applauded.'  Everyone was smiling. How touching is that?  Wow!

That reminded me of an employee at the grocery store.  He hasn't worked there too long and I don't even know his name (or else I forgot).

While he's carrying out the groceries he sings all the way; sometimes he sings while he's bagging...at times I can't distinguish what he's singing but most of the time I can.  He doesn't carry on any conversation...just sings, like he's in his own private world.  The one time he did converse w/o singing was when a lady was caught shoplifting while I was there...and forget the singing...he was over the top excited.

The point is he brightens people's lives...with hardly any effort on his part.  It's just 'what he does'.  Like our friend...it's simply 'what he does'.  and it puts a smile on faces...that's like a rainbow.
 
A person might be great because they promote the idea of being happy as they are...what do you think about that?  Our friend lost his partner...but he still sings...there's music in his heart.  I don't know about the grocery man...but he sings...there's music in his heart, too.   
 
Since it's raining almost daily, how about this?
I'm singin' anyplace, just singin' anyplace;
Come on w/the rain I've a smile on my face
I walk down the lane with a happy refrain...
I'm singin', just singin' in the rain!

Hopefully I'm forgiven for twisting the lyrics. 

Here's a bit of trivia for you...this song made its debut in one of the first musical sound movies, Hollywood Revue 1929. 

I love the movie "Singin' in the Rain"...went to school with Debbie Reynolds in beautiful, downtown Burbank.  Those were the fun days in the old, very peaceful California.  Oh my! 

Here's my point...
"Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens."

So hey, sing and be happy...in any key!

From my open heart...to yours,
Vasca

 
 
 
 


1 comment: