Tuesday, November 4, 2014

COURAGEOUS JUMP


 
"Have the courage to say 'no'.
Have the courage to face the truth.
Do the right thing because it is right.
These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity."
W. Clement Stone 
 
In case you've forgotten, it's election day...of course you haven't...how could one forget when it is and has been a 24/7 topic.  I once thought it only began a short time prior to the actual event but these past few years it has been non-stop, year round.  A career of 'campaigning'. Oh brother!  Quite tiresome, at least to me it is.  
 
Perhaps it would go down a bit smoother if there was more integrity involved...where did that go?  Once upon a time (must've been in Disneyland) there seemed to be some semblance of honesty, good sportsmanship...you know, the things that a good person should have in their DNA.  
 
Wouldn't it be wonderful if each of us could honestly be full of integrity?  Wow.  Of course, it begins with me...now that is a responsibility not to be taken lightly.  
 
Where does one begin...perhaps with a guilty conscience?  Ah...I'm guilty!
 
I recently saw this quote from a famous person...a hero of sorts...and it spurred my thinking: "It's been six years since I had a drink and I have two girls
and my priorities are a lot different now and I just can't believe
that I was that guy.  And I would not go back. 
I would not trade the way I am now for anything.  Brett Favre
 
It must have taken a lot of courage to admit it to oneself...then put it out for your loved ones and for publication.  I imagine it carries some clout and who knows how many others could be influenced to change their habits.  Being a celebrity carries a load of responsibility...no way would I want it. 

But hey, stop and think about it for a minute.  Shouldn't it be the same for each of us...for you and for me?  I never know who is looking to me for guidance, example...I'm teaching whether I realize it or not.  Besides, there is someone who knows my every thought...now that's a wake-up call.  So then, I carry a load of responsibility...where's my integrity?  Maybe you are already full of integrity...I'm not.
 
There are those of us who, for one reason or another, became addicted to drugs and hit the bottom before changing their life pattern.  It happened to me and thank God for His help and the love of my family...they lifted me, showed me how to regain my life...and my integrity.  If you've not been there?  Well, trust me...it takes courage to beat it. 
 
There are so many types of addictions that find their way into lives.  Facing up to what's necessary to beat them can and does take all kinds of courage! 
 
Ann Romney has this to say about her struggle with MS...
"There are certain things that don't mix well with MS.
One is staying up late at night. 
Another is big, noisy crowds.
Well, campaigns are staying up
late at night and big noisy crowds."
She has become more aware of what it takes to manage her MS...she's in the public eye...a celebrity...she doesn't seem to feel sorry for herself.  People could say, "Well, she's very wealthy...she has everything"...beside the point.  She seems to have a lot of integrity...and that's important.  Perhaps she can influence others.
 
You know that I've been thinking about my thinking and it's amazing what a difference it can make...could be I've become more aware...no matter, it's an improvement...a wake-up call of sorts.
 

Working on integrity has somehow put some awesome people and opportunities in my path...
call it 'testimonial'...'witnessing'...
whatever you like but lately, each week,
I've had experiences that have so enriched my life. 
I pray others have been touched as well.



I'm almost to the point I can say 'no' when I should...
I am able to face the truth...
I can do what's right because it's right...
Guess what?  I've discovered the magic keys...not to Disneyland...but to integrity. 
And I am so excited...I honestly am!  Maybe I'm contagious!

From my heart...to yours,
Vasca

2 comments: