Thursday, September 11, 2014

BLOOMIN' PROGRESS...



 
(Me...at 14)
"I'll tell you, there is nothing better in life
than being a late bloomer.
I believe that success can happen
at any time and at any age.
Salma Hayek
 
Once, back in the late 70's, our youngest son asked..."Mom, is it true that love is blind?"   I told him that's what was going around; then I asked why he was interested.
 
"Well, Dad must've really loved you...a lot."  Oh son, you've stepped in it...big time!  Ever the young diplomat, he didn't miss a beat with this..."Mom, you're just a late bloomer!"  Right off the hook...really!
 
He had been looking through our wedding pictures (very lovely)...next were the photos of the honeymoon in Colorado (not so lovely).  Okay, so I wasn't exactly Miss Gorgeous.  I weighed in at a light ninety-eight pounds and my wardrobe was zero to brag about.

Desiring to know an exact definition I looked up the phrase 'late bloomer':
An adult whose talent or genius in a particular field only appears
later in life than is normal – in some cases only in old age.'...who wants to wait that long? 

At 11: I began working (outside the home).  Child labor?  No way 'cause it was educational, a good thing...hey, 25 cents an hour was good! 

While living in California I moved to the big time...soda jerk and clerk in a drugstore.  Imagine me selling cigarettes?  Ha!  I rode the public bus to and from work...did the same to school...thru' the defense plants yet!  And paid the fare.
 
At 14: I remember walking to school the day after Franklin Roosevelt died and Harry Truman became president!  That vision is etched in my memory and I'll never forget my feelings, my thoughts that day...I was very concerned; worried about what would happen next for our country.  We were still at war...what a time for FDR to up and die on us!

The Axis was defeated and the world survived; Truman was a good president and the future looked bright.  Except for conflicts; seemingly unavoidable.   
 
At 21: My future was outstanding...downright rosy. 
I found the one...or perhaps M found the one...
I believe someone powerful was the instigator...
we found a rare thing. 
“If you find a man who trusts you,      
who isn't afraid, who sees you for
who you are, and if it feels like he
knows you for who it is that you
simply are...
and thinks all of that is beautiful;
know that you have found a rare thing."
C. Joy Bell C
 
At 27: Future was full motherhood...oh wow!  Married six years w/four boys...more than 'oh wow'...it was 'oh boys'!  What can I say, 'M & I were madly in love'
At 30:  Who would've imagined?  M and I jumped into an entirely new environment...military life and I would live in exotic countries w/foreign people and see much of the world...make many wonderful friends. 

At 49:  Wife of a retired military officer...what's next?  Lots of new experiences, that's what.  M settled into a new career and, as always, I was along for and enjoyed the ride.  Life was good!.  Someday our sons would marry and grandchildren might be in our future...you think?  Stuff happened and we have ten grand ones!

At 70:  My heart was in my throat; America was stricken a most horrible blow...9/11.  Our youngest son worked in a building adjoining one of the twin towers...we later learned he was ill that day and didn't go in.  Like millions of others, I will never...ever...forget that day.

At 71: Talk about the surprise of a lifetime?  Well, maybe not 'the'  but it's up there w/our unplanned family expansion!  M and I moved to China to work for one year and stayed longer to do a few important things for a most important one!

At 80:  Okay, so what now?  I/we had yet another surprise...Michael was diagnosed with a killer condition, something most had no knowledge of, Amyloidosis!  Talk about a few hours of gloom and doom...we were in the dark place.  As it always does, the Sun/Son came out and we were once again upbeat...we remain so.  It's about faith...trust...and more!

At 83:  It's today...once again I'm thinking of 9/11 and my thoughts at that time...sad, with a broken heart.  For some strange reason, for more than a week, I've been singing and thinking "Battle Hymn of the Republic"..."Star Spangled Banner"...and "Stars and Stripes Forever".  I haven't a clue as to why...I only know it's persistent and looks as if those songs are going to be my companions for a bit longer.  And that's okay!

Well, here I am...me, the late bloomer but don't you know, better late than never?  To me, the wonder of it is that I remain full of curiosity...I want to know, to learn...I want to 'pass it on'.  
You only live once, but if you do it right once is enough."  Mae West
                                                                         
While continuing to bloom I pray to be a stream of living water, fresh and flowing.  Even late bloomers need water!  And who's to know...perhaps by some humongous stretch of imagination I might even bloom with some hidden talent or genius like the dictionary says 'in my old age!  'Bout time.

From my heart...to yours,
Vasca

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful life so far and more to come! I consider myself a late bloomer too. Not for beauty but for knowing what I wanted in life and coming into my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your life experiences story, & your outlook on life. You are beautiful as a young woman. (wedding pic) & now. A Secret Admirer

    ReplyDelete