Thursday, August 21, 2014

YOU SUPER-DUPER MEN...

 
"My mom says the only reason men are alive
is for lawn care and car maintenance."
Tim Allen
 
Not true...no way! Tim's mom surely was kidding.  Some of my favorite people are men and they do tons of things; so you're thinking I'm partial?  Okay, I suppose having four awesome sons whose father led the way to their awesomeness possibly has much to do with it...I like girls too...however, since my order wasn't filled, I simply haven't had so much experience with them. 
 
A dis-advantage...I never experienced hands on car maintenance...why bother?  After all, those five men who lived with me were up on what to do; okay, even if they sometimes bombed out...fortunately for me it wasn't often.  I had no flat tires and only once had a serious mechanical failure...of course, it was far from home and took some doing to get me back.  I wish I had learned a few tricks of the trade...but...time marches on and I don't want to learn...besides I have my trusty, dusty smart phone! 

Cars are very sophisticated these days...are they ever.  They talk to you, jiggle your buns when you drift from your lane...use the brakes when you're distracted...cameras are placed in strategic places to give you 'drive around' instructions!  No more car keys...don't even start the engine yourself, it'll do it for you!  Wow!  They even can/will tell you where to go...reminds me of M when I'm driving!  Oh yes! 

Some even drive themselves...is there anything they can't do?  Well, they do need regular visits to their 'car doc' for check-ups...like people, right?  
 
Along those lines, I read this:  "Be sure and check your oil...oil is cheap, engines are expensive!"  Oh, I see...you've had some experiences with that...well, live and learn.


(Our grandson, Grant, re-assembling his car)
I was especially vulnerable when M
was 'out of the country' for a year...
more than once...
and I was saddled with four young men w/drivers licenses!

Enough to drive a mom bananas!
Disaster...we had a souped-up 98 Olds that  flew with the wind...fast. 
 


My little angels would vow to stay under the limit if I would just say 'Yes'
to their driving it to Dallas for the OU/Texas game.  Oh brother! 
 
It was even the OU colors...red and white. 
What a crock that was...thankful I didn't learn the truth 'til years later! 
 
Well, truthfully...I wasn't exactly a creep-a-long on the road myself...
inherited my lead foot from my mother and have paid for it a few times.  Ouch.

My twin brothers and my sister also followed suit...my dad discovered the twins antics when a friend of his remarked that Dad had the fastest 'family car' around.  Seems the twins would take it out, switch the tires, etc. and race it...they always won!  Notoriety has a way of making the news!  Ha!  They continue racing...but using their own cars!  Whew!

Men are alive for much, much more than lawn care and car maintenance. I've not always been respectful of their value...my bad.  Once...when I was way out of line, M looked at me and quietly said, "You know Vasca, I'm not your teddy bear that you can just take off the shelf and do your thing...then put me back."  That pricked my heart and I've never forgotten how I hurt him; trust me, I've tried my best never to hurt him again.  More living and learning, the hard way!

These days, my man smiles at me when I get up in the mornings...he tells me how precious and beautiful I am (fresh out of bed)...how much he loves me...he pampers and cares for me 24/7 in the most loving ways...much more than words. 

Oh, and for your information?  I reciprocate...100%. 

I have this idea that of all things wonderful...family relationships are about sticking together and lifting each other up!  The opposite of lifting each other up?  Tearing each other down...nowhere to go then but up...I'm into lifting up!

When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary;
When troubles come and my heart burdened be;
Then, I am still and wait here in the silence,
Until you come and sit awhile with me.


You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.  

Lyrics by Brendan Graham

This is dedicated to each and every one of you...male and female...my readers! 

You raise me up and I thank you!
    
From my heart...to yours,
Vasca

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Awwww...so upbeat and positive! Yes, family is about lifting up! Most of us already know what's wrong with us. We don't need it pointed out on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Kate. My readers seem to prefer commenting by e-mail and that's fine...I love comments (don't we all) however they come. You are an outstanding writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The good thing about comments is that they stay with the story.

      Delete
  3. I do love you sweet Vasca! Thanks for your ever encouraging words!
    Lanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you too, Lanna. You're a source of encouragement to me...always! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete