Tuesday, July 15, 2014

CHANGING SHOES...


 
 
 
 
Michael and I have just returned from Chicago where we participated in an annual get together of some of the veterans who served in Korea w/the 179th Heavy Tank Company.  This is a special time for all of us...vets and their friends/families...we're like a large and ever so happy family. 

Obviously the veterans are now in their eighties...they were so young when they served together during the Korean conflict in the 50's; most were still wet behind their ears.  Wars tend to 'mature' people very quickly; these men are heroic and influential examples for countless individuals.  They are totally respected and loved...each and every one!

Four of them died between last year's reunion and this one but there were four attending this year, along with families which gave us a total of twenty-two.  We had one more terrific, happy time...creating precious, unforgettable memories.

Our host for this year did a great job of arranging things; the hotel was comfortable and well situated...everything was perfect.  Of course it didn't hurt that their made-to-order breakfast each morning was awesome!  Loved it and so did the eight floors of guests! 

Chicago is one of the many cities that is a 'melting pot' aka many nationalities.   Nonetheless, we were actually surprised Friday when crowds of Indians checked in...I do mean CROWDS.  Replete with huge wardrobes ...along with the families...wow! 
 
It seems there was to be a three day traditional Indian wedding across from the hotel in the convention center.  The Indians reserved it for the festivities...let the celebration begin...and begin it did. 

Families meant children, lots and lots of children...suddenly the hotel became a mini-convention center.  Seems the kids were performing 24/7...noise level was top of the world.  One of the employees told M & me that he carried one of the wedding sari's in and thought it had to weigh more than five pounds. 

M got into an elevator Saturday morning and the only occupant was the 'bridegroom'...
who asked M if he would please take another elevator so that he could ride alone.  Seems they were going to video him as he rode down in the glass elevator...M happily obliged.  Interesting times!  Yay!
 
We totally understood their excitement but the noise level was a momentary irritant.  Just one of those things, you know...or do you? 

Patience...compassion...understanding...qualities that much too often escape me.  How about you?  Bah-humbug had to go in the trash can!  Enjoy the glow and happiness of a new chapter in someone's life...oh yes!
 
Our four days passed and oops, it was time to leave.  The plane was posted to be 'on time'...whose time was mysterious; we checked in for our very short wait when, of course, a two hour delay time was posted.  Chicago's O'Hare is the busiest in the world...according to the experts.  Oh wow, I think they're right on target (okay, not always on time but they can count).
 
The seating area became more and more crowded by the minute...lots of people going to Dallas...more than lots.  Every nationality imaginable...accompanied by every age.  And everyone was becoming more restless as time slowly...and more slowly...passed.
 
 
M and I were surprised when a tall gentleman appeared in front of us, looking into our faces..."I thought that was you two and it is...how nice to see you here".  Ha, ha...it was one of M's top doc's for his Amyloidosis.  He had just cleared customs returning from Pakistan visiting his mother...heading home to Dallas on the same delayed flight as us.  A pleasant surprise indeed...you never know who you might run into...or where.
 
The wait was tolerable...until?  Oh wow, a little child began screaming and I do mean screaming...at the top of its lungs!  The family was back in a corner where they blessedly couldn't see many other passengers...but I'm sure they could just imagine!  If looks could have killed? 
 
Time to 'line up' and here the little family came; mom & dad w/the screamer in the stroller and a little sister who seemed to enjoy getting in the infant's proximity...she would cry that the infant was 'teasing' her...oh yeah. 
 
Suddenly the beautiful mom began sobbing her heart out, the husband was patting and comforting her...trying his best to let her know everything was going to be okay.  I felt very ashamed of myself when I realized she had run in a marathon that morning which she lost...she was totally exhausted...the two children had misbehaved and made a spectacle of her.  Hey, having been solo with our four boys who are only a few months apart?  Been there, done that and bawled accordingly. 
 
I had a slight change-of-heart that pricked...little blood, yes.  I smiled as I watched her squeeze her napkin letting all those tears run out and she felt better.  Rainbows followed the rain 'cause the kids were good on the flight...let's hear a shout out for blessings, especially for the mom.  Ah...peace for her...sigh of relief for her partner...happy kids!
 
Speed ahead (500 mph) to the DFW baggage area where I parked near a mom and her two children...M was eyeing the incoming luggage.  This mom looked so tired; I smiled at her and she didn't even see me.  I thought how unhappy she must be.  Then I noticed her beautiful little child in the stroller...a Down Syndrome infant...looked like a little cherub, a little angelic one!  I thought to myself, "No wonder she looks so worn out...a tad unhappy".  
 
That prick I mentioned stabbed me and that's when the actual 'change of heart' occurred. 
 
Little angel stuck its precious, bare, fat feet up out of the stroller...wiggling the little toes and that awesome mom lit up with a glowing smile, looked into that babies face and began laughing and talking to her angel and all was well with the world...in a most gentle, touching way!  Such a way that moved and moves me to tears.


"Empathy is about standing in someone else's shoes,
feeling with his or her heart,
seeing with his or her eyes. 
Not only is empathy hard to outsource and automate,
but it makes the world a better place."
Daniel H. Pink
 
Lesson learned for me...how could I think thoughts as I do about others...
when I have been in those places, walked their way, felt with my heart...
I simply had forgotten. 
 
I'm telling you, my Father and myself...
I am intent on making the world a better place.
Stepping gently, feeling the way...seeing with loving eyes.  I understand.
 
From my heart...to yours,
Vasca

2 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy these posts...sometimes (too much of the time) things don't work right and I'm not a techie...hopefully comments can now be posted. Who knows? I can only hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so much more kind and patient than I am. On our last flight a toddler in the seat in front of us wailed (wailed! not cried) the whole flight. My nerves were on edge and it was fortunate I didn't have any sharp objects. I thought the parents couldn't do much more than they were doing but at the end, someone said something sympathetic to them and they said, "oh, he's always like this on planes." I got annoyed with them. If they knew that why don't they seek help. Perhaps something soothing for him or ???? (or maybe something soothing for me!)

    ReplyDelete